EGT Safety Alert 70: Electric Shock Incident

16 January 2018

Two EGT apprentices were tasked with fitting off socket outlets and emergency light fitting circuits. The fit off proceeded as planned until one of the apprentices reached into the roof space via a man hole to retrieve the cable for the last fitting to be installed.

At this point, the apprentice made contact with the exposed end of an energised general lighting circuit cable, resulting in an electric shock.

The general lighting circuit was connected to a Combined Residual Current and Circuit Breaker Device (RCBO) which did not trip at the time of the incident.

At the time of the investigation, the host company advised our investigation team that they had found a socket outlet that had been cut off by an unknown party at the work site.

Root Cause

  • Lighting circuit cable energised with an exposed end in the roof space.

Recommendations

  • Consideration should always be given to isolating all circuits prior to commencing any work in a roof space.
  • Apprentices should always “test before you touch” especially in situations where other circuits may not be isolated.

Contributing Factors

  • Two companies were involved in the fit out of tenancy.
  • Lighting may have been interfered with by an unknown party.
  • The apprentice was not wearing gloves at the time of the incident.
  • Lack of communication between all parties.

Feedback

For further information regarding this Safety Alert, please contact EGT on (08) 6241 6100 or contact your Field Officer.